Monday, May 31, 2010

Week in Review, May 24 to 30

The Week in Video Games

I picked up the new Super Mario Galaxy 2 earlier in the week, but I haven't put a lot of time into it yet, collecting only 10 stars so far. The original Galaxy is easily one of my favourite Wii games, so it's no surprise that I am greatly enjoying my time in Galaxy 2. Nintendo kept everything that was awesome about the original and improved everything that was merely good. The first few levels are each interesting and unique, and the new power-ups I've been introduced to so far are terrific. Nintendo's Mario games rarely fail to impress (I had to say "rarely" instead of "never" because of Sunshine, which had moments of brilliance but was overall only good), so I can't say I'm surprised by the superlative quality of this game.

The Week in Television

I originally started watching Californication to break up the darkness of Breaking Bad with something lighter, but then I became hooked on Californication instead, and whipped through all three seasons in a couple of days. I have always enjoyed David Duchovny (I really don't know why I didn't watch this series until now...?), and his Hank Moody is a hilarious asshole, constantly fucking up, redeeming himself, and then fucking up all over again. The third season, especially, was very, very entertaining, establishing a ridiculous sex farce and running with it. I'm now impatiently waiting for a fourth season.

Once I was done with Californication, it was back to Breaking Bad's second season, which quickly hooked me in its own way. This series is by turns intense, hilarious, heart-breaking, and depressing. Shocking events are the norm. I have two episodes left in the second season. And this can not possibly end well.

Monday, May 24th
Loved: Chuck (3x18/19)
Liked: The Big Bang Theory (3x23)
Meh: How I Met Your Mother (5x24)

Chuck already had a terrific season finale earlier this year, so when the season was extended by NBC, the writers must have felt challenged to top it. And, wow, they succeeded--big time! "Chuck Versus the Subway" and "Chuck Versus the Ring, Part II" were awesome. Simply fucking awesome. I'm glad they aired both of these episodes on the same evening, as they worked so well together, telling a great focused story of Chuck, with much assistance from family and friends, versus Shaw and the Ring. There was maybe a touch more cheese than I would have preferred, and some story details were retconilicious, but those are nitpicks. The Chuck and Shaw Intersect showdown in the Buy More with Jeffster's "Blaze of Glory" in the background was one of the best things this show has ever done. And the ending was simply jaw dropping, providing an intriguing setup for a fourth season. Holy hell am I glad this show was renewed.

The Big Bang Theory's season finale, "The Lunar Excitation," was somewhat underwhelming. It was funny throughout, but it was awkwardly structured, and the best moment of the entire episode was the end tag with Sheldon meeting his online dating match. And that scene was completely spoiled for me numerous times throughout the past week in promos for this episode--promos that effectively ruined this episode for me, because they made it seem like the episode was going to be about Sheldon meeting his match. But it was actually more about Penny getting drunk and regretfully having sex with Leonard.

"Dopplegangers" was a much better episode of How I Met Your Mother than last week's nonsense, but I gave last week a Liked nod... what gives? The difference is that "Dopplegangers" was the season finale for the ultra lame fifth season, and therefore my expectations for some substance and redemption for the season as a whole were much higher. And almost completely unmet. Sure, there was some funny stuff, and even a little storyline progress with Lily and Marshall and Robin and Don, but what's the title of this fucking show again? This entire season of How I Met Your Mother was a giant fucking waste of time. And it's a damn shame.

Tuesday, May 25th
Liked: Glee (1x20)

"Theatricality" was an okay episode of Glee. Musically, it was all Lady Gaga for the girls (and Kurt!) and Kiss for the guys, so bleh! "Beth" was okay. "Poker Face" was just fucking bizarre. The scene of the night belonged to Burt as he came to Kurt's defense over Finn's use of the word "faggy." Hopefully at some point in the future it will be acknowledged that Finn was not entirely in the wrong when he became angry at Kurt's stalkish behaviour. The other major storyline was Rachel meeting her mother, which had an unexpected ending.

Friday, May 28th
Loved: Party Down (2x6)

"'Not On Your Wife' Opening Night" was a farce-tastic Party Down, cleverly plotted, making good use of every character, and simply hilarious from beginning to end.

Saturday, May 29th
Loved: Doctor Who (5x9)

Doctor Who's "Cold Blood" at times felt much like an episode of Star Trek. This is not a bad thing, but the Trek vibe made it rather easy to predict the direction that the Silurians storyline would take. They thankfully aren't Cybermen or Daleks, but the Silurians weren't that much more impressive as villains, rarely feeling like the threat that last week built them up to be. In the end, though, this episode will be remembered for its devastating final minutes. Never before has new Doctor Who made such impressive use of a season long story arc. I realize that this ending will most likely be undone in the finale, but it was still a dark place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment