Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Soundtrack to My Movie, Disc 2

If you haven't done so yet, you really need to start with Soundtrack to My Movie, Disc 1.

16. "Lightning Crashes" (1994) by Live

"Throwing Copper" is potentially the best album from 1994. It is certainly my favourite, and picking only one song for this list was ridiculous. I chose "Lightning Crashes" because it was Live's breakthrough song for me and many other people. And it's awesome.

17. "Nutshell" (1994) by Alice in Chains

Alice in Chains' acoustic EP "Jar of Flies" took me by complete surprise, thanks in no small part to brilliant songs like "Nutshell" and my all-time favourite instrumental song, "Whale & Wasp." Suddenly, I was a fan. And after listening to "Dirt," I wondered how I missed it the first time around. I vividly remember telling my French teacher that Jerry Cantrell was my favourite guitarist (in French of course).

18. "The Nude" (1993) by Catherine Wheel

It took the release of "Happy Days" and the single "Waydown" to alert me to the existence of Catherine Wheel. I was immediately intrigued and quickly tracked down their earlier stuff, and am I ever glad I did. "Chrome" is a masterpiece, and "The Nude" is possibly the best song ever about art appreciation.

19. "Fake Plastic Trees" (1995) by Radiohead

I don't care what anyone says; "OK Computer" is not the best Radiohead album. "The Bends" is better in almost all ways, most notably consistency, and features the genius of "Fake Plastic Trees."

20. "You Are All I Have" (1996) by Hayden

When I think of my first years in university, I inevitably think of Hayden. The first time I heard Hayden, he was playing a live show in the corner of a cafeteria on campus. I sat only a few feet away and was amazed at the emotion and honesty in his songs. I could only dream of creating songs with that much heart. "Everything I Long For" was easily my most listened to CD in 1995, and when "Moving Careful" came out, I put it on endless repeat as well. After "Estranged" and "Without You," "You Are All I Have" is easily the most lyrically relevant song on this list. Goddamn!

21. "Without You" (1998) by Ty Tabor

Ty Tabor is the guitarist from King's X, and he has had a strong solo career on the side. Without a doubt, he has been the biggest inspiration on my own music, despite the fact that my music doesn't come out anything like his in the end. My bad. "Without You" has always been my favourite Ty Tabor solo song, and now, like "Estranged," it's even better given my personal experience with the lyrical content.

22. "Finally Free" (1999) by Dream Theater

Progressive rockers Dream Theater established a new standard for theme albums with "Scenes From a Memory" (surpassing Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime"). It's pretty dumb to pick one best song from an album that tells a single story, but if you have to, you have to go with the big finale. "Scenes From a Memory" is my favourite long drive album.

23. "For Me This is Heaven" (1999) by Jimmy Eat World

One day at work, I stumbled upon a former co-worker's burned copy of "Bleed American." My only exposure to Jimmy Eat World up to that point had been "The Middle," a good pop-rock song, but nothing to get excited about. But I thought, what the heck, I can listen to the whole album--and holy shit! I can't remember a time I was so surprised by the quality of an album. Songs like "Hear You Me" and "My Sundown" blew me away, and I of course had to immediately check out the rest of Jimmy Eat World's discography. "Clarity" blew me away even more than "Bleed American" had. It's amusing to remember that I didn't originally think much of "For Me This is Heaven," but this song is a slow grower. Not only is it my favourite Jimmy Eat World song now, it's also my text message ring tone. Oh, and Jimmy Eat World is quite possibly my favourite band, so thanks a lot former co-worker!

24. "The Sharp Hint of New Tears" (2000) by Dashboard Confessional

I think it was when my brother Blaine recommended that I check out Dashboard Confessional that I first realized how similar our tastes in music were. "The Swiss Army Romance" is still the best DC album, and it was encouraging for someone trying to do the very same to hear an album that was only acoustic guitar and vocals. I don't think I'll ever write or record a song as good as any on that album, but it's still inspirational.

25. "Yours if You Like" (2001) by Oleander

For whatever reason (complementary vocal styles is my guess), Oleander is my favourite band to sing-along to in my car at full volume, and "Yours if You Like" is my favourite song choice. They aren't even that great of a band overall, but I have spent many long car trips rocking out with my Oleander mix CD.

26. "Trains" (2002) by Porcupine Tree

Porcupine Tree is a band that can not be done justice by CD. I own all of their best albums on DVD-Audio, and that is how I listen to them most often: 5.1 surround with a huge sound field, and details you can never hear on the CDs. The album "In Absentia" introduced me to Porcupine Tree, and still stands apart as their best overall work. "Trains" is possibly the most accessible song on the album, and it played a big role in making me a huge fan of the band.

27. "Amazed" (1999) by Lonestar

It's funny that I am including a song in this list that I actually don't want to listen to, but I can't deny that this song is on the soundtrack for my movie. You either know why, or you don't. It's not important to discuss why.

28. "Don't Slow Down" (2005) by Copeland

I discovered Copeland with their album "In Motion," and it was "Don't Slow Down" that first made me sit up and pay closer attention. I am now a huge Copeland fan and love all of their albums. In fact, if any band embodies the summer of 2009 for me, it is Copeland, as the complete collection played on random through my outdoor speaker almost every day I sat outside and read during my summer vacation.

29. "(*Fin)" (2007) by Anberlin

Anberlin is another of my current favourite bands, despite their undisguised Christianity, which says a lot for the quality of their songs. Their 2007 masterpiece "Cities" ended with this incredible and appropriated titled song. This song often still gives me chills when I listen to it.

30. "Falling Slowly" (2006) by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

The only Academy Award winning song on this list, I could listen to "Falling Slowly" on repeat for hours and never get tired of it. Beautiful, haunting, brilliant. Well deserved win! If you haven't seen Once yet, you really should.

And that's the end of disc 2. Disc 2 obviously contains more favourite songs and less guilty pleasures, but it's the whole package that counts.

And, in the grand tradition of internet lists, I can't forget to cop out with some honorable mentions, songs that would possibly have made the list, had I made it a 3CD set:

"The Voice" (1981) by The Moody Blues
"Where is My Mind?" (1988) by Pixies
"Dyslexic Heart" (1992) by Paul Westerberg
"I Do What I Do" (1993) by The Galactic Cowboys
"All Apologies" (1993) by Nirvana
"The River" (1993) by The Tea Party
"The World I Know" (1994) by Collective Soul
"Gipped" (1994) by hHead
"Claire" (1994) by Rheostatics
"Zero Chance" (1996) by Soundgarden
"Guitar and Video Games" (1998) by Sunny Day Real Estate
"Brighter Hell" (1998) by The Watchmen
"Stellar" (1999) by Incubus
"Emotion Sickness" (1999) by Silverchair
"If I Told You This Was Killing Me, Would You Stop?" (2000) by The Juliana Theory
"Gravity Rides Everything" (2000) by Modest Mouse
"Almost Crimes" (2002) by Broken Social Scene
"When Morning Comes" (2002) by Dishwalla
"Good to Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have to Do Is Die" (2003) by Brand New

And last, but certainly not least, a major inspiration for this list:
"Soundtrack for Our Movie" (2003) by Mae

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that was me who recommended DC to you. I'm surpised that you went with For Me This Is Heaven instead of 23 for JEW. I'm also surprised you went with Lightning Crashes instead of Pillar of Davidson for Live. AND, I'm also surpised you went with Don't Slow Down instead of When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out for Copeland. And FINALLY, I'm surpised you have Emotion Sickness on there instead of Without You for Silverchair, because we all know that Diorama is their best CD and that's the best song from it! :) But anyways, good disc 2. I'm glad you mentioned that Ok Computer is NOT Radiohead's best CD, and yes, Fake Plastic Trees is their best. I know Marc will say that Paranoid Android is their best but you just have to ignore him.

    In the end, though, it's not just about the best song but about the memories the particular songs hold right.

    Blaine, out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaine, your second paragraph is pretty much exactly what I would have said in response to your first paragraph. The song choices for my soundtrack were made based on the memories and emotions of each song, not necessarily the quality of the songs.

    "Pillar of Davidson" is obviously the *best* song on Throwing Copper, but "Lightning Crashes" means more to me. "When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out" is obviously the best Copeland song, but I never would have heard that song if not for my love of "Don't Slow Down." "Emotion Sickness" laid the groundwork for Silverchair's awesome Diorama and made me a fan of a band I had previously thought I hated. "For Me This is Heaven" vs "23" was a tougher decision, but the choice was made easier by the fact that I had already highlighted "23" in the first blog post.

    Anyway, I'm still really happy with this track-list!

    ReplyDelete